The society’s first mention is in July 1920 when the Reverend Arthur Baring-Gould, Vicar of St Martin’s, Haverfordwest, wrote in his parish magazine appealing for help for the blind people of Haverfordwest. Most of them were elderly and poor.
The movement grew encompassing the whole of Pembrokeshire, and the Pembrokeshire Blind Society was formed in 1921. The work of the Society has continued under the chairmanship of successive Vicars of St Martin’s thus maintaining a link with its foundations. The Society entered into an act of unification with the Royal National Institute for the Blind in 1974.